Native American Fry Tacos otherwise known as Navajo Fry Tacos are these delicious tacos.
I have been eyeing these tacos for a long time but I finally made them in July for my birthday. Granted I did film it for our class Road Trip through the USA, I love, love, love these types of tacos. Not only different, but crunchy. Hard for me to describe but it leaves you craving more.
A little back story about Navajo tacos, they recipes came about in the early 1800s due to the government rationing off food. Navajos found a way to combine chili, cheese and tacos with their rations for a high fat diet to keep them going. It later became tradition within Native American households, as well as at pow wows.
Now, every year at the National Indian Taco competition, which is sponsored by the Osage Nation cooks from all over the world, including many tribes and show off their variation, hence why the name has changed since the 1800s.
Native American Fry Tacos
- large bowl
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Large skillet
- Paper towels
- measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water warm
- 3 cups olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef or chicken
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can diced green chiles mild
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt with the warm water. Using a fork, mix until it is a soft dough.
- Spread flour on a counter space, knead the dough into a ball and allow it to rest for 10 minutes, covered with a dish towel
- Divide the dough equally into 8 pieces. Roll into a ball then using your rolling pin, roll out into 6 inch disks
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm up the olive oil. Make sure its heated to 350-360.
- Fry the disks until they are golden, Carefully flip using tongs. Best to do 2-3 at a time.Set on a plate with paper towel in between each one
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium to high heat. Add your diced onions. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add your beef or cut up chicken. Brown the beef or begin colong the chicken, Make sure your moving it around to get all sides.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Drain and rinse the red kidney beans and add it to the mixture with the tomatoes. Let to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes
- Serve on the fry bread with your favorite taco toppings