Today is National Sugar Cookie Day. We absolutely love making sugar cookies. They are easy, versatile and fun. We even have a Sugar Cookie Decorating Class we offer, which covered several ways of decorating methods. Check out some examples below from other artists.
Wet on Dry Method
Wet on Wet Method
I also want to add an album of our cookies, where I decorated them, or any of my students.
- Sheet tray or cookie sheet
- 1 Cup Butter (2 sticks)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Tbsp extract (vanilla, almond or lemon)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350
- Begin with mixing your butter and breaking it down until it is smotth. This will help make the next few steps easier,
- Now we will be creamiing our butter by adding the suagr. Mix until smooth again.
- Add the Eggs and Vanilla (almond or Lemon if you want to change the flavor) and mix until incorporated, it should still be smooth.
- Add the baking powder, salt and flour. Mix until it is a dough consistency. If it is too crumbly, add a little bit of milk. If too wet, add flour.
- Once it is in dough form, flour your counter space and roll the dough out to 1/4 thick. Use your cookie cutters to shape the cookies you want.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes
Royal Icing Frosting
- Pastry bags
- Food coloring
- toothpick or a scribe
- 8 cups Powdeered Sugar best if sifted
- 5 tbsp meringue powder
- 6-8 tbsp warm water
- In your bowl, mix the powdered sugar, merungue powder and water. Start eith a little water (5 tbsp), Mix until your icing peaks (7-10 on low or 10-12 on high)
- Tap the bowl to get the air bubbles out and stir to release the bubbles
- If you are coloring the royal icing, add it before you tap out the bubbles. Prep your piping bag, put in 3/4 of the way and twist
- Begin with outlining your cookies then flood. Use the toothpick to gently release the air bubbles.
- If you are dipping, do that instead of outlining.
- Once you have your cookie covered, you can go ahead and paint (vodka and food gel) or add piped designes on top as just 2 of those fun options
- Pipe on
- from the top two, either pipe designs or paint (food coloring and a little bit of vodka, check out the video for example)